Thursday, August 4, 2011

Not Quite the Beginning...

I've blogged about my fitness endeavors for several years now. Over the last 8 months, I've been toying with the idea of blogging about my foray into motorcycling. Apparently, the time has come. This is not so much for you as it is for me, so I can remember this time in my life in the years to come. If you happen to read and be entertained, so much the better. :)

I was a bookworm and non-athlete in my youth. Always last to be picked for the teams in PE, I still do not have an interest in team sports (though I do hope that could change before The End). In my 30's, I really started to come into my own. I learned to ride horses and barrel race (never great at it, but I did it and loved it) and competed in a physique contest spurred by my interest in weight lifting.

At 39, I moved to a climate where it is never too cold nor too hot to do outdoor activities. I bought a mountain bike (bicycle) and also started running. About 4 months after I moved here, I got into dirt bikes (off-road motorcycles). I fell in love with dirt biking the trails here. I'm fortunate to have a group of friends who ride, and a standing weekly ride with girlfriends who ride.

As I was starting to learn how to dirt bike, I almost immediately began to toy with the idea of street motorcycling. But the dangers with that have higher consequences. And I didn't have anyone to ride with on a regular basis and to seek advice from.

Then life changed. I got divorced and had new-found freedom. Once I started dating, I dated a guy who happened to ride dirt bikes and street bikes. Then I fell in love with him and moved in with him. In our garage are 6 motorcycles. Two of them are mine: one street bike (Suzuki SV650S) and one dirt bike (Yamaha WR250F).

So I begin this blog with 8 months and 2500 miles under my belt. Still very new, with a LOT to learn. This will mostly be about street biking, but no doubt I'll mix in a little dirt riding from time to time. (I don't know why the urge never struck to blog about that.)

No comments:

Post a Comment