Monday, August 22, 2011

Weekend Rides

For my Friday adventure, I planned to not stray too far from home. We had a date to go to the fair, so I wanted to be home by 3:00. I started out Hwy 112 for some twisty fun. Only I went too early for fun. The fog hadn't burned off yet, and was low enough to hamper visibility even more by coating my visor with water droplets. And it was COLD. It felt like 30 degrees and I was wearing my summer gear (or as close as I have to summer gear). So I turned around at Pillar Point. (I really wanted to turn around earlier, but there was nowhere safe to do that.)

Photobucket

From there, I headed east and rode up to Port Townsend and then Chimacum. Sunny and much warmer over there! I ended up 238 miles traveled for the day.

Yesterday, we rode with a group out to Forks to watch drag races. We stopped for breakfast at the Hungry Bear Cafe.

Photobucket

We rode Hwy 101 around Lake Crescent on the way there, and rode 112 (better twisties, higher speed) on the way back. 101 is patrolled pretty heavily, so the posted speed of 35 mph is advised. This allowed me to keep with the group easily, even through the curves. Coming back via 112, our leader was not a sport bike rider and took it really easy, and once again, I kept up pretty darn good! It was a good, confidence building ride.

I'm closing in on having put 4000 miles on the bike. That means very soon I will be doing my first oil change. Did I already post about that previously? I can't remember. I'm looking forward to it!

2 comments:

  1. How were the drag races? :pop:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting! It was bracket racing, which had to be explained to me, lol. And I was surprised to see that (at least here) it's an older man's sport. I expected drivers in their 20's-30's, and saw drivers in their 50's-60's. This was a small town unsponsored event, very grass roots. That was cool!

    ReplyDelete