Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Those Blasted Stickers!

Even though my bike is a 2005, it only had 861 miles on it when I bought it and the original owner never took off the factory warning stickers. In addition to the biggest, ugliest one on the tank, there were smaller ones on the front fairing and next to the speedometer. It's taken me 9 months to get sick of looking at them, and last night they had to go!

I asked my resident expert how to get them off (the answer: a hair dryer to heat the glue) and got to work. I also Googled others' experiences with their removal, so I knew what I was in for. Over an hour later (perfectly in line with Googled results), they were gone. The smaller ones (boasting such warnings as, "do not store things inside the front fairing because it might fall out and jam your wheel or break your fairing) came off easily. The tank one was a bitch! Once they were removed, my resident expert got home from fishing and guided me on how to remove the sticky residue left behind (WD-40, alcohol, and a polish). Voila! I no longer have to see the ugly stickers.

On an entirely different topic, I looked out my office window a while ago and a saw a new female rider on a large-ish cruiser type bike. Being new myself, I can spot the signs. At the stop sign, she had to check twice to make sure she was all the way down in first. She paddled the bike with her feet as she took off to go straight. She looked nervous about the intersection. And unfortunately, she was riding in capris and tennis shoes, a long sleeved shirt, and no gloves. Being a gear nazi about myself, I hate to see that. :(

2 comments:

  1. Ha! That newbie could've been me expect for the lack of gear. It's good to have a resident expert, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim, I couldn't imagine trying to do this without my resident expert! :)

    ReplyDelete